RSS

Gone Baby Gone

Dir: Ben Affleck - feature film directorial debut
Cast: Casey Affleck, Michelle Monaghan, Amy Ryan, Ed Harris, Amy Madigan, Titus Welliver, Morgan Freeman
USA, 2007

Seen: November 6, 2007 at Scotiabank

Reason to see: As part of my See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year challenge. This is week 46/52.

I honestly went to see this film because the timing worked perfectly. There were other choices that were slightly higher on my list but I would have just missed the beginning or had to wait and I just wanted so see something... and fast!

Needless to say my expectations were not terrible high. I had heard some good reviews and some lukewarm reviews and I will admit I didn't get into it for a while. Looking over my notes I scribbled "Am I heartless? I don't even care what happens..." but that did change not so much during the film but after the fact. What convinces me that it's a good film is that I've continued to think about it over and over since seeing it. Usually when that happens it's due to some kind of continuity issues but that isn't the case with Gone Baby Gone.

One of the strongest contributions to the film is the performances. Some of the sweet roles are in the supporting cast including Amy Ryan as the less-than-ideal mother of the missing child and Ed Harris as the police liaison the private investigators Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan. Casey Affleck brings us another strong performance this year (the first being The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford), although it would have been greatly improved is there was no mumbling! It did subside over time but at times was distracting.

The film is heavily steeped in the plot and I will not go into details there but I will say that there are interesting themes surrounding of community, family and sticking to your guns.

Warnings: Violence, abduction, disturbing images and ideas

Shannon's Overall View:
It took a while for me to get settled in this film, but when I did I enjoyed it
I'd watch it again although not over and over and over
I'd recommend it

18 minutes of preshow including 8 commercials and 5 previews: Juno, The Bucket List, Margot at the Wedding, No Country for Old Men and Love in the Time of Cholera

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2007

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment