RSS

Brick Lane

Dir: Sarah Gavron - feature film directorial debut
Cast:Tannishtha Chatterjee, Christopher Simpson, Satish Kaushik
UK, 2008

Seen: July 4, 2008 at the Cumberland

Reason to see: I watched the first half of the trailer and I was riveted.
I wouldn't recommend watching past the first half as it shows a lot of the film

Brick Lane follows the life of Nazneen after she relocates from Bangladesh to London for an arranged marriage, leaving her family and sister behind. The film deftly creates the setting of a culture within another culture which brings layers of social boundaries in a complicated yet believable way. The true heart of the film lays within the remarkable performance by Tannishtha Chatterjee as Nazneen, a woman finding her own path in a world where there is so much left unknown or inaccessible to her.

The film has a lovely score that packs an emotional punch. I also found there were many visually beautiful moments in terms of lighting and colour and because they were used sparingly it didn't tip the scales to make it feel like magical realism but showed how these moments can and do occur in life.

Compelling and insightful, Brick Lane is not to be missed.

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I'd watch it again
I recommend it

10 minutes of preshow including 8 commercial and 4 previews: Vicky Cristina Barcelona , Amal, The Last Mistress and I Served the King of England

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment