RSS

Iron Man

Dir: Jon Favreau (Zathura, Elf, Made)
Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Leslie Bibb
USA, 2008

Seen: May 5/08 at Varsity

Reason to see: Across the board good reviews and I wanted to see it before I heard all about it.

I'm mystified at the large number of good reviews for Iron Man. Sure, it has action, explosions, gadgets and great production design but that isn't all there is to a film - even an action film. I was disappointed in the simplicity of the plot and the blinders the audience is required to put on with reference to generalized 'bad guys' of non-specified descent. This creates an environment that allows for an almost subversive pro-Americana story which succeeds (in terms of audience reaction) where many current war films fail. I will say that Robert Downey Jr. is excellent in the film and an interesting albeit arrogant protagonist but it is too bad that the rest of the characters, especially the women, were not as flushed out.

Also: at least 4 product placements. Bleh.

Shannon's Overall View:
I didn't really enjoy it
I'll watch it again, on cable or tv
I'd recommend it as a brainless action flick

13 minutes of preshow including 4 commercial and 5 previews: The Love Guru, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, You Don't Mess with the Zohan, The Dark Knight and The Incredible Hulk

I had to divert my eyes from so many of the previews because I didn't want to see spoilers! An action packed summer is ahead of us.

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment