RSS

Polytechnique

Dir: Denis Villeneuve (Maelstrom)
Cast: Maxim Gaudette, Karine Vanasse, Sébastien Huberdeau, Evelyne Brochu
Canada, 2009

Seen: March 23, 2009 at the Cumberland

Reason to see: Canadian

When I first heard that there was a film being made based on the 1989 Montreal Massacre, I was hesitant. I wondered why would we want to see this? Is this the right time for a film of this nature, is there ever the right time for this kind of film?
Then I found out it was being directed by Denis Villeneuve, and realized this tender topic was in the safest hands out there.

The events that occur are, of course, brutal and upsetting. However it is shown with such a sensitive touch where there is almost no judgement, but depiction. Judgement isn't even necessary as we all know it was a horrifying day. Therefore we see a portrayal and the accounts flow seamlessly from portraits to everyday life moments to the surreal history itself. Shown in black and white we can feel the chill of the December day as the narrative unfolds. A quiet score fits in perfectly shifting from calm to panic. The actors performances are so on, that you never doubt them for a minute. It's hard to say that I 'enjoyed' watching the film, but I was amazed at how at the same time it was equally tactful, honest and scary. Quite a feat.

Those of us who were around at the time of the event will remember how it shook us as a people, as a country and for those of us who are women, as women. We do need to remember.

Shannon's Overall View:
I was moved by it
I'd love to see it again in French with English subtitles *
I recommend it

* I was very surprized that it was shown in English. It appears that there is are French and English version - I hope this leads to it been seen and heard to a wider audience.

13 minutes of preshow including the short film NFB 70 Years/ONF 70 ans, 1 commercial, 2 previews: Hunger and The Brothers Bloom

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2009

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment