RSS

Lord of the Rings - Mid Month Check In & General Reading

Photobucket

What I've been reading...Amazing the consistent colour story in the book covers, eh?

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Mid Month Check in!
I feel like I've been a little slacking in my reading of The Two Towers but thankfully our gracious readalong host Shelf Love has given us some questions to ponder as a MidMonth check in. This is totally serving as inspiration to keep on trucking through Middle Earth for me.

Mid Month Check in Questions!

1. Where are you in your reading? Are you finding it slow going or is it a quick read?

I've just started into Book Four, which is a little behind my plan but not so far behind that I think I can't catch up. In terms of the story, Gollum was just talking to himself.

2. If you’re a rereader, how does this reading compare to past readings? If you’re a first-time reader, how has The Two Towers met—or not met—your expectations? What has surprised you most in your reading?

I've only read this once before, and I really raced though it. So far I'd say it's not met my expectations. I'm still stuck by how familiar the world/creatures/ideas are to be from their being used in general fantasy out there over and over again, rather than from reading the book originally.

3. In Book 3, we visit lots of new places and meet lots of new characters. There’s Fangorn and the Ents, the riders of Rohan, Saruman at Isengard. Which are your favorites? Least favorites?

Highlights are anything in Rohan. Love Eomer, Eowyn and Theoden. I'm surprized I didn't like the Ents more (I still 'hear' Gimli's voice though from the film when Treebeard talks. Why they did that I'll never know.), I found Isengard section a little boring.

4. Have your opinions of the main characters from Fellowship changed at all in The Two Towers?

Opinions haven't changed so much but really starting to see some interesting character development. You really start to see the change in Frodo here. He starts getting a little miffy and short on patience, but it's nicely done being gradual and believeable. Pippin is starting to grow as well, although I'm sure I'm picking up on that a bit more 'knowing' that it happens, but I noticed it much more this time round. Zero development if feels from Legolas, Gimli and Sam. Aragon is getting a little kingly though, very interesting.

5. Are there any scenes that strike you as particularly memorable? Anything you could do without?

Not a scene per se, but I love this quote of Aragorn talking to Gimli when he's giving a little defeated attitude:

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

2 points for Aragorn.
Also, could do without a lot of the description. It's really descriptive.

6. And the obligatory movie question: If you’ve seen the movie, has it affected your perception of The Two Towers? If so, how?

The film is really affecting my reading. I hear the actors when the characters talk, and I'm impatient to see some of the characters that haven't shown up yet (namely Faramir). Also, I'm finding it a bit tough to get through it, so I admit knowing the film well makes me prone to speed reading over sections I'm less fond of (Helm's Deep, fighting in general) to keep up my reading pace.

2010 Book to Film Challenge Update

Although I've not finished reading The Two Towers yet, I've made progress on other titles on my 2010 Book to Film Challenge list:

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer (re-read)
By far my favourite book in the Twilight series, although sadly I didn't love the film. But, I will always love the book. I love the Bella/Jacob friendship and it is in this book that we really see that relationship grow. Why she loves Edward, I'll never understand. Anyhow, I re-read it in anticipation of the New Moon coming on DVD (March 20, 2010), which film wise I didn't enjoy anywhere near as much as Twilight, as well as in countdown to Eclipse which will be in the theatres June 30, 2010. Next up on that countdown is to read Wuthering Heights (because it's discussed a lot in Eclipse and I've never read it), then finally Eclipse.

Beastly by Alex Flinn
Another 'in anticipation of a film' read, this updated version of the story of Beauty and The Beast will be made into Beastly, set to release July 30, 2010. It's an interesting take on the story, from the guy/beast point of view. Alex Pettyfer is perfect casting as the pretty-boy-turned beast, and I'm curious how close the film will be to the book. From the picture released so far they've made changes with how 'the beast' looks so who knows what we will end up with. I didn't find the book as compelling, mostly as it's a tale of the beautiful/privileged having to deal with not being so and... well...I don't have much sympathy for that. Also, for an 'updated' version, I was suprized it didn't take the opportunity to update in more areas, specifically gender roles and witch stereotypes. But, now I'm even more curious about the film. So far there is a teaser trailer and featurette, which show a little to loittle and a little too much. What can I say, I'm the little bear kinda person - I want something *just* right. I look forward to seeing more.

Random Reading

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong (Darkest Powers #2)
I read the first book in the Darkest Power series, The Summoning, earlier this year and I totally inhaled it. Interesting paranormal teen fiction and an interesting personal journey from the perspective of a female protagonist which I really enjoyed. The Awakening picks up literally where the first book stopped and again I inhaled this one reading it over 2 days and barely able to put it down. I really enjoy the characters here and am looking forward to seeing where their journey continues.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
I picked up this one from hearing Kurt & Andrew talk about it over at the Cinecast when looking ahead to the films of 2010 and I didn't listen to much more than that as I could tell that it's one you really don't want to know what it's about, but rather to experience it as you read it. After reading it, I can say this really is the case. It was a nice jump to read some straight up regular fiction, although it took me a while to adjust to the writing style but it was really worth it. It was also nice to read something stand alone, because I'm in the middle of many series. Overall, it's a great book and one I'd highly recommend. The film adaptation is in the works according to Wikipedia the casting includes Carey Mulligan (An Education), Andrew Garfield (Boy A, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus), Keira Knightly and Sally Hawkins (Happy-Go-Lucky). Wow, that casting is so perfect it almost makes me want to cry.

For fellow book lovers, feel free to friend me over at GoodReads!

That's what's been on my nightstand. What have you been reading?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment