RSS

The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010)

Photobucket

Dir: Jon Turteltaub (National Treasure)
Cast: Nicolas Cage, Jay Baruchel, Teresa Palmer, Monica Bellucci, Alfred Molina, Alice Krige
USA, 2010

Seen: July 23, 2010 at AMC Y&D in ETX

Reason to see: It was my birthday movie that I went to see with my family!

What a happy suprize The Sorcerer's Apprentice was, it really added to the happy birthday celebration I had this year! Usually when I say I was surprized by a film it for something I had little or no expectations for, but in this case I secretly did hope that it would be great, but almost didn't want to admit it. It's been a while since we've had a magic-centric film that really deliver, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice delivers on all levels - you care about characters, the story and history are interesting, the effects are fantastic and overall it's one heck of a fun ride.

Jay Baruchel stars as the ever lovable physics geek Dave and is approached by a great sorcerer Balthazar (in a charming performance from Nicolas Cage) to become his apprentice. A pretty standard magic-y start for sure, but the amazing thing about the film is that a lot of place it could have said no, it decided to say yes. Instead of distancing the worlds or magic & science, it embraces it's reality of them living and breathing in the same world. It's a subtle choice in some ways, but that philosophy spills over into many different aspects of the film, from the very clever use of magic in a urban setting to noting pop culture magic references in a very humorous way.

The story and spirit of the film are filled with endearment that is refreshingly relatable, extremely good natured however doesn't get wrapped up in being saccharine but rather keeps keeps it sweet & believable level. I think Jay Baruchel did a great job giving the audience a fantastic character to cheer for, and this along with The Trotsky means he's starred in the of the funnest films I've seen this year. I also really enjoyed the magic effects, from concept to creation there were spectacular and it was so refreshing to see magic incorporated seamlessly into an urban setting and really embracing the rules of the world it created. The film has got a great sense of humour and fun spirit, and was definitely the happy surprize of the summer... so far!

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I've already seen it again in the theatre
I'd recommend it for fans of fantasy, especially urban fantasy

10 minutes of preshow including 3 commercials and 5 previews: Nanny McPhee Returns, Secretariat, Tangled, Smurf'd and Resident Evil: Afterlife

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2010

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment