RSS

My Week in Film

Photobucket

At the height of the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, I find myself avoiding watching films I've not seen before. Amidst planning, baking, shopping and chopping the time and attention it takes to watch something new seems like a bigger challenge than making a double batch of sugar cookies.

There is a lot of holiday fare that I could revisit. From classics like A Miracle on 34th Street, A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life, to seasonal but non traditional favourites such as Going My Way or The Bishop's Wife. There are also many Christmas set films that aren't of the 'holiday' spirit like Die Hard and The Ref.

But, I've seen all them and it's not quite what I'm looking for. Give me something epic. Give me something magical. Give me something sweet. Give me something freaking long enough to make through wrapping these presents or baking all these cookies.

There are a few that fit the bill. First up is any and all of the Harry Potter films. I love the wonderful world of muggles, mystery and magic. There are always winter scenes with lots of snow which makes it feel ever more holiday like. I've already breezed through The Philosopher's Stone (first film) and The Order of the Phoenix (fifth film) but I've been saving The Goblet of Fire for later as it feels especially Christmasy.

There are a few odd ball one of's that I've been enjoying recently as well, such as Gidget. It's a film that is always high as a repeat viewer for me, I love Gidget's relentless energy and positive attitude. It never fails to bring a smile to my face from the rabble rousing surfers to the cutesy songs that come out of nowhere. Another film that brings cheer for me is King Arthur, which I saw for the first time on Christmas Day at my sister Jamie's house a few years ago. It's a film that I've actually not seen that often but I love it, especially the comraderay between the characters and a cast you just can't bet particular Mads Mikkelson, Ioan Gruffudd and Ray Winstone. It also has a pagan aspect to it so that fits right in with the seasonality!

But, the end all be all of this years holiday revisiting is The Lord of the Rings trilogy. For three lovely years it was a winter tradition to trek out theatre and see how Frodo and the gang would get into or out of trouble. This year, The Fellowship of the Ring saw me through the second haul of cookies. The Two Towers kept me company down to the last present was wrapped with the last piece of tape. Now, I hear Return of the King calling my name to keep the chopping of vegetables and making of dip a breeze to get through. Wish me luck, I haven't seen it since going to the theatrical release in 2003 and I cried like you wouldn't believe. Hopefully the veg will be done before then.

Epic. Beautiful. Ensemble casts. Magic. Now that is what I call true holiday spirit.

Photobucket

Apparently Gollum is not interested in cookies.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment