RSS

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Photobucket

Dir: Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Time After Time)
Regular Cast: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Majel Barrett
Additional Cast: Ricardo Montalban, Kirstie Alley, Bibi Besch, Merritt Butrick, Paul Winfield
USA, 1982

Originally Seen: Memory is hazy, but logic would dictate that first viewing would be during the theatrical release

Revisited: January 17, 2009

Reason to Revisit: For the Countdown to Star Trek Movie Marathon

This film rocks. All the things I didn't enjoy about Star Trek: The Motion Picture can be forgiven with the return to what makes Star Trek work. Revived is the great chemistry of the Trek Trio of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Humour returns with some rockin' one liners as well as a more jovial air amidst the darker tone of the film and a plot are filled vengeance. Those are the opinions of a dedicated Trekkie, but speaking from more of an arms length, what really makes the film so strong is the content. Oh my, I don't think I've ever said that before! I liked the plot? Weird. Anyway, it works. The brilliance is in resurrecting a plot thread from The Original Series (TOS) episode Space Seed, which introduces us to the character of Khan one of, if not the greatest, villain of the Star Trek Universe. Khan is intelligent, cunning and charismatic which puts him as a great adversary to Kirk. Viewing of the film is enhanced by familiarity of the episode and character but by no means is it necessary.

Watching it for the first time in a long time with a very focused attention, I noticed so much more about the film then you get from a superficial viewing. Sure, I squirmed, cheered, laughed and got emotional at the same parts I always do. But this time I noticed the foreshadowing, the irony and the greater message of the film as a whole. That is one of the reasons that makes the majority of Star Trek so rewatchable. Upon every viewing there is something new to discover.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is in the running to be my favourite of the series. I'm thrilled that I picked up the film collection as the
remastered version is beautiful with clear sounds and rich colours. A huge improvement from seeing it on TV or from an ancient VHS tape.

It is with a sad heart to share that Ricardo Montalban, who played the brilliant villain Khan, passed away last week. He will be missed.

Shannon's Overall View:
I love this film
I watch it repeatedly
I highly recommend it, to Trek and non Trek fans alike

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2009

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment