RSS

Vampyr - Der Traum des Allan Grey

Photobucket

Dir: Carl Theodor Dreyer (The Passion of Joan of Arc)
Source Material: the novel "In a Glass Darkly" by Sheridan Le Fanu
Cast: Julian West, Maurice Schultz, Rena Mandel, Sybille Schmitz
France/Germany, 1932

Seen: August 29, 2009

Reason to Review: Vampathon: Vampire Film Marathon *

Vampyr was quite a hidden gem for me, I had ordered it from the library thinking it was Nosferatu (1922), which I had already seen but wanted to get a look at in a different format. Then I realized it was a completely different film by Carl Theodor Dreyer (The Passion of Joan of Arc) no less! Add to that it's a different story than Dracula. I was already over the moon as I sat down to watch it and low and behold it turns out to be a fantastic, textural and unique brand of vampire films. I was one happy camper.

Even though film in a time close to Dracula (1931), Vampry has a completely different feel and story. It's textual feel heightens the tone of the film, which in essence could be seen as a drama/thriller but as it's fuzzy and blurry it enhances it add a creepy edge. The main character Allan Gray is curious at heart and the his adventure reads like a supernatural travelogue. Quite the find, I'm thrilled that there is a Criterion edition of the film. It's one for the wish list.

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I'll watch it again
I'd recommend to fans of classic, vampire and textural films

Return to Film Reviews, See all Vampire Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2009

* Vampathon is a 16 week marathon explore vampire films from Nosferatu (1922) up to the upcoming release of The Twilight Saga: New Moon

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment