RSS

TIFF'08 Wrap Up

Photobucket

I don't normally do straight-up top 5, 10's or lists by roles category, however this year I was asked for Faves for the 2008 Festvial from TIFFreviews.com and felt compelled to comply and also share my selections:
Best Film - JCVD
Best Actor - Ulrich Thomsen in Fear Me Not / Den du frygter
Best Actress - Carina Caputo in Derrière moi / Behind Me
Best Direction - Rafaël Ouellet for Derrière moi / Behind Me
Best Screenplay - A Film with Me in It
Want to have your say? Fill out a ballot over here at the TIFFReviews.com Awards.

Now back to your regularly schedulled Movie Moxie Festival Wrap Up.

Overall Stand out Films: C'est pas moi, je le jure! / It's not me, I Swear!, Derrière moi / Behind Me, Eden Log, Every Little Step, Fear Me Not / Den du frygter, JCVD, Kisses, The Real Shaolin, The Sky Crawlers, Still Walking / Aruitemo aruitemo, Patrik 1,5 / Patrik, Age 1.5, Pontypool and White Night Wedding / Brúðguminn

Artistic works of wonder: Ashes of Time Redux, Eden Log and The Sky Crawlers

They made my cry dangnabit!: Every Little Step

Standing Ovations (only one this year): C'est pas moi, je le jure! / It's not me, I Swear!

Favourite Program: Tie between Midnight Madness and Vanguard, both have extremely strong programming this year.

Best Experience: The energy in the room during the Chocolate and JCVD screenings

Funnest collective experience: Noting how many pirates were in the crowd for the collective anti-piracy 'Arggggggg!'. It wasn't as heartfelt this year though.

Best Q&A's: Chocolate, Detroit Metal City, The Real Shaolin, Tokyo Sonata, White Night Wedding / Brúðguminn

Weirdest repeated Q&A question: No question but long winded praise for the films - which is lovely in it's own way.

Still has me thinking: Dernier Maquis, One Week and Martyrs

The weird and bizarre: Sauna and Tale 52 / Istoria 52

Most impressive first feature: Winds of September

Weirdest reoccurance: Out of the films I picked, without noticing it at all I picked 5 Japanese family dramas: Still Walking / Aruitemo aruitemo, Achillles and the Tortoise, All Around Us, Toyko Sonata and Vacation

Fullest Screenings: JCVD and Chocolate

Funny moments:
-At the JCVD Midnight Madness screening, the line for the gents washroom was substantially longer than for the ladies. What a feat!
-I was one of the very few women in The Dungeon Masters screening

Wish I hadn't missed: First screenings with people from the films present including Ashes of Time Redux (Wong Kar Wai) and It Might Get Loud (Jimmy Page!). Also, so many films, but I hoped to get more Canadian films on my roster especially those from the Canada First! program. Alas, there is always next year!

Photobucket

The Toronto International Film Festival 2008 ran from September 4-13/08 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment