RSS

[REC]

Dirs: Jaume Balagueró & Paco Plaza
Cast: Manuela Velasco, Pablo Rosso, Javier Botet, Carlos Lasarte, Maria Lanau, Vicente Gil
Spain, release date TBD

Seen: September 18, 2008 at the Bloor as part of Rue Morgue Cinemacabre Movie Night

Reason to see: I've been hearing rave reviews about this film for ages and it is not likely to get a regular release so I jumped at the chance to see it on the big screen.

Wow, this was well worth seeing in the theatre which I knew would be the case considering the viral marketing that was a trailer showing the audience reaction. [REC] fells like a fresh take on the classic horror genre even though they don't reinvent the wheel or anything but the take you on one smooth ride of scares. It works so well in building suspense and allows the audiences imagination run wild. Scary as all get out, I was jumping and giggling throughout the film. A must see for horror fans.

Warnings: Violence, gore and a lot of shaky cam

[REC] has an American remake called Quarantine slotted to be released October 10, 2008. I'd highly recommend seeing the original.

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I'll buy it
I'd recommend it to all horror fans

Lots of preshow including trivia & giveaways, Toronto After Dark Film Festival 2008 trailer and announcement about the festival and vintage trailers: Shocker, Night Breed and Billy Jack.

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

Photobucket

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment