RSS

Quarantine

Dir: John Erick Dowdle (The Poughkeepsie Tapes)
Cast: Jennifer Carpenter, Steve Harris, Jay Hernandez, Johnathon Schaech, Dania Ramirez
USA, 2008

Seen: November 4, 2008 at AMC Yonge & Dundas

Reason to see: I really needed to see a movie and it was between this and W in terms of what was playing at the right time.

I'll be upfront here. I never intended to see this film as I saw and was very impressed by [REC], the Spanish film it was based on. Seeing the spoilerific trailer for Quarantine (honestly, this trailer is be biggest spoiler out of any film I've ever seen), I could tell it was heavily leaning on the source material and I was dumbfounded that it showed so many of 'make you jump' scares of the film. Although I wouldn't say it's a shot-for-shot remake, it does take all the great parts from [REC], but doesn't show them nearly as well. That being said I still did jump now & again and was impressed by Jennifer Carpenter performance in the lead role. Overall, if in any way possible you can see [REC], see it as it's a much better film. But if you can't, and you've not seen anything about Quarantine yet, it could be an enjoyable horror film.

Shannon's Overall View:
I didn't love it
I'd only watch it again to note more comparisons to [REC]
I'd recommend seeing [REC] instead

18 minutes of preshow including late start, 3 commercials and 6 previews: Notorious, Role Models, Australia, The Unborn, Home and The International

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment