RSS

Closure: Lit Flicks & Companion Challenge

Photobucket

Back in October I took up the Lit Flicks Challenge and it's Companion Challenge, the (combined) goal was to read 5 books that were turned into films, watch the films and write about them between September 1, 2008 and February 28, 2009. Starting a month into the challenges I thought this would be no sweat - 4 months for 5 books and 5 films? Sure thing, sign me up! My original post including book and film choices is here.

Oh my goodness, did I fail miserably! I did start of strong reading and seeing Memoirs of a Geisha. Loved the book. Loved it. In fact, if nothing else I am happy I took the challenge just to have read the book. I enjoyed but didn't love the film, which retrospectively I can see as the reasoning why I didn't review it. Especially as it is full of actors I love like Michelle Yeoh, Gong Li, Ken Watanabe and Kôji Yakusho. The next book I tackled for the challenge was "Eragon", which I thought would be a fast read but nope it wasn't. I still haven't finished it, in part because I didn't love the writing style but also found the main character a little whiny and not that likeable. I still would like to finish it at some point.

There was one barrier I didn't anticipate for the timing of this challenge. Almost all the reading I do is while I'm waiting for or on the bus, streetcar or subway. Let's look at that timing again - October through February.... in Toronto. Let me fill in the blanks for you:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yeah, so - it like snows a lot and is cold here. My hands were often tucked away in my pockets and not holding a book to read. I'm not a read at home type so this totally dampened my progress. And once I felt like I wouldn't cross the finish line with flying colours I left the goals to the wayside.

Oddly, I did manage to make it through some other books including "New Moon", "Eclipse" and "Breaking Dawn" from the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyers. Enjoyed "New Moon" the most by fair. I've heard rumours that there is a fifth book in the works as well which was surprizing. I also read those at lightning fast pace, I haven't done that since I was a kid.

I also read "Dead Until Dark" by Charlaine Harris, the book the tv series 'True Blood' is based on. Fun book although it pretty much is the same arch as first season of the show. Keeping with the book to film theme I just finished "City of Ember" by Jeanne DuPlau and loved it - it's a kids book and another really quick read, finished it in a week on transit.

The last book I'll mention has no screen adaptation as far as I know but it's a fantastic book: "Beggars in Spain" by Nancy Kress. It's Sci-Fi but very accessible (i.e. not tech heavy) but brillant. I haven't read a book with that kind of wide eye curiosity of what would happen next since "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. Huge recommendation from me to you on that one.

So, here we are on February 28, 2009 and I only got though about 25% complete on the challenge. But, I am thrilled that I did end up reading a lot of great books and learning it's cold in the winter (duh). On the film side, although I didn't get to the 5 I thought I would I did manage to watch 114 during the time period. So, I'm good with that.

Last but not least, a big shout out to The Bluestocking Society and Bitchin' Film Reviews for hosting the challenges - they certainly challenged me!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment