RSS

My Week in Film

Photobucket

The big news around here is getting a new TV. It's almost as big as me! Well the box is almost as tall as me. That being said, I didn't even make it out to the theatre this week! I've been gazing misty eyed at that screen for days. I wish I could share a pic of how clear it is but y'know... copyright is there for a reason.

Since I didn't see anything new, we can double back a bit to Canada's Top Ten as a bit of catch up. It's perfect timing with the Genie nominations as there is a lot of crossover. Out of the top then films I loved Maman est chez le coiffeur / Mommy Is at the Hairdresser’s, which turns out that it is based on the same family as C'est pas moi, je le jure! / It’s Not Me, I Swear!. Both films are based on memoirs family members so there are similar themes between the film but they hold up as their own stories as well. It was great to see the full house for Adoration, followed by a Q&A with director Atom Egoyan. There were quite a few Q&A's over the series including after Pontypool, the small town Ontario zombie-ish film with director Bruce McDonald in in attendance. Many of the films now have 2009 release dates, you can check out the upcoming film schedule here.

This week is all about the mad dash to see what I can left for Oscar nominated films. I have been resisting this year, feeling more drawn to 2009 releases. But, I can't imagine not seeing at least all the best picture nominees and since I'm only at 2/5 that is the task of the week to see the remaining 3 (Milk, Frost/Nixon and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button).

If you need to catch up and are free on Feb 21 you are lucky lucky as AMC theatres are showing all 5 of the best picture nominees at a steal of a price: $30. If you have a Movie Watcher card it's only $25. Either way you get to see all the films plus unlimited refills on a free large popcorn. More info on that here.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment