RSS

Films on TMN in October 2010

Oddly I only have a few Halloweeny picks for this month on TMN, although if you are looking for creepy there are tons of classics on Mpix from The Exorcist to Amityville along with fun ones like Pet Sematary, for which I will always hear The Ramones song in my head when I hear that title. "I don't want to be buried... in a pet semetary... don't want to live my life again..."

Must See's

  • District 13: Ultimatum - Sequel to District B13 / Banlieue B13 and again is jam packed with more underdog good folks vs the baddies and filled to the brim with more parkour action and fight sequences. It follows a very similar structure to the original but it's still a very fun watch. Both David Belle and Cyril Raffaelli reprise their roles and are impressive in the high flying action and buddy-film-ness.
  • Passenger Side - fantastic urban road movie starring Adam Scott and Joel Bissonnette as brothers driving around but not really feeling like they are going anywhere, although isn't it the journey that matters? The beautiful casual dialogue, quick wit and chemistry between the two guys make this a stand out film. And it's Canadian (although set in the States).

Highly Enjoyable
  • The Crazies - remake of the 1973 George A. Romero film of the same name, this one stars Timothy Olyphant and Radha Mitchell who live in a town that becomes exposed to a deadly virus. I actually quite enjoyed this film, although never got around to reviewing it. One of the best things about it is a fantastic performance by Joe Anderson in a supporting role, I'll watch it again and again just for that. Fair warning for anyone queasy that it might not be the best fit as it's very gory.
  • Legion - I keep joking that I am in the Legion of One who liked this take on the edge of apocalypse time where a rebel angel shows up to fight the good fight in a drifter town. Certainly not perfect, but it was a heck of a lot of fun.

The Biggies
  • The Blind Side - Sandra Bullock and Quinton Aaron star in this based on a true story film following the rise of a football player after being taking into a family after being homeless.
  • Shutter Island - Leonardo Dicaprio stars in this thriller from Martin Scorsese. I wasn't overly impressed by it (actually I laughed a lot watching it... but it's hard to discuss why without going to spoiler territory). The pacing & tone are great making it a pretty solid thriller, but I coudln't really 'go there' a lot of the time.

Series:
  • In Treatment Season 3 - Starring Gabriel Byrne as a therapist are a fly on the wall during his daily sessions with patients along with getting snippets into his struggles with his own personal life. I know this series is much loved and I truly adored season 1 (and now really have to catch up on Season 2!). In Treatment shows on HBO Canada.
  • Durham Country Season 3 - Wow, I didn't even realize they were doing a season 3, and I just watched all of Season 1 and 2 for a DVD review. Very chilling Canadian crime drama starring Hugh Dillon, will run on HBO Canada.

My To Watch List
  • The Lovely Bones - I just didn't make it out to this one in the theatre
  • Pirate Radio - I like the original title of The Boat That Rocked more, but this one actually never made it to the theatre in Toronto so I never saw it. British period comedy set on a boat sounds like a recipe for fun for me.
  • Suck - Canadian rock/vampire film starring Alice Cooper? I'm still kicking myself for not getting to see this at TIFF last year and hoped it would make regular theatres, but it didn't.
These are just some of the highlights I've picked out of what is new this month on TMN. They have loads more titles and you can check them out all over at the TMN website.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment