RSS

Perrier's Bounty (DVD Review)

Photobucket
Courtesy of eOne Entertainment

Dir: Ian Fitzgibbon (A Film with Me in It)
Cast: Cillian Murphy, Jim Broadbent, Jodie Whittaker, Brendan Gleeson, Gabriel Byrne, Liam Cunningham
Ireland/UK, 2010 (DVD Release)

Reason to see: I was absolutely floored by the brilliance of the dark comedy A Film with Me in It, and was up for more craziness from Ian Fitzgibbon

I've been known to say "comedies just aren't my thing". But when I see a film like Perrier's Bounty and I know that's too much of a blanket statement, because it's the kind of film that when the comedy hits you, your jaw literally drops because it's hard to believe what you just heard because it's shocking & hilarious all in one. Then, it turns that comedy on a dime and hits you with an insanely serious tone, and it just keeps continuing to shake you from left to right throughout the film.

Perrier's Bounty is a a dark comedy/crime film that follows Michael McCrea (Cillian Murphy), whom owes some money and is on the working on a line to pay it back. The funny thing is, it isn't a ton of money and Michael pretty much a decent guy who just doesn't have the best of luck. Mind you it's not the worst of luck either. That's one of the many things I loved about the film, it's outlandish in many ways, but not unbelievable. In every funny and every heartbreaking moment, we have the ridiculousness of the truth firmly centred in it, which is what makes it so spot on and a such an enjoyable film watch.

Another thing I loved about the film and one of it's strongest points is the dialogue. The dialogue is so good that that I just want to watch the film over and over again. Add to it the stellar performances with such a great cast and it notches the film up to brilliance. Cillian Murphy is great as the understated Michael, I loved Jodie Whittaker as his heartbroken neighbour Brenda and Jim Broadbent is fantastic as Michael's slightly eccentric father, who pulls off a story that is rather outlandish that I'm not sure anyone else could have done it. Plus, we get a fabulous slew of charismatic bad guys including Perrier himself (Brendan Gleeson), who are entertaining through and through.

Overall, I loved the film. I'm thrilled to see that it's on DVD now so more people can enjoy it. It's set in some harshness but my goodness it is one funny, charming and even tenderhearted film. I can't wait to watch it again.

DVD Extras:

  • Making of "Perrier's Bountry Featurette" (14 minutes) includes interviews with producers Alan Moloney, Elizabeth Karlsen and Stephen Woolley, writer Mark O'Rowe, director Ian Fitzgibbon and actors Cillian Murphy, Brendan Gleeson, Jodie Whittaker, Jim Broadbent and Liam Cunningham with film clips - really great making of that seamlessly highlights the interview statements with clips from film, especially when chatting about characters, performances, dialogue and action.
  • Trailer
Perrier's Bounty is available on DVD as of September 28, 2010. Check it out over at Amazon.ca & Amazon.com

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I'll watch it again
I highly recommend

Return to Film Reviews or see more DVD Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2010

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment