RSS

2011 Book to Film Club: Summer Reading Selections

Photobucket

Even though I'm not finished One Day yet (and I'm loving every moment of reading it), I couldn't hold back any longer what our next set of books will be for the Book to Film Club. Summer is definitely a season where it's nice to chill out with a good book, and I hope these provide you with some awesome reading memories this year. If you haven't joined yet, you still can! Sign up for email updates for the club here.

Without further adieu... Summer 2011 Book to Film Books:

June 2011 Book: On the Road by Jack Kerouac
The classic road trip novel of the Beat Generation and apparently largely autobiographical. I have a feeling this one will be the most guy-ish of the year and easily just 'one of those you have to read' types of book. I think I'm the most hesitant on this one of all the choices, but curiosity on such well-known and well-loved titles often gets me in the end. Film version stars Sam Riley (Control, Franklyn), Garrett Hedlund (Tron: Legacy, Country Strong) and Kristen Stewart (Twilight, Adventureland); directed by Walter Salles (The Motorcycle Diaries, Central Station).

July 2011 Book: The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Set in Mississippi during the early 1960s the centred on unlikely friendships and courageous women. This one I found has been wildly popular and if you get your books from the library I'd recommend requested it soon (I'm talking holds in the 900 range here in the T-dot). The film Stars Emma Stone (Paper Man), Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer, Directed by Tate Taylor (Pretty Ugly People).
Film Release Date: August 12, 2011 (see trailer here)

August 2011 Book: The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
All for one, one for all! Classic adventure tale that has seen many, many adaptations - but I'm sure this one will be the first one in 3D! The book is easily the largest and most dense of the year, so if you think you might need a bit of a head start - go right ahead! The film will star Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief), Matthew Macfadyen, Mads Mikkelsen (After the Wedding / Efter brylluppet, Valhalla Rising), Ray Stevenson (King Arthur, Kill the Irishman), Milla Jovovich (Fifth Element, Resident Evil), Christoph Watlz (Water for Elephants) and Orlando Bloom, directed by Paul W.S. Anderson (Resident Evil, Resident Evil: Afterlife, Death Race (2008), AVP: Alien vs Predator).
Film Release Date October 14, 2011 (see trailer here)

I think I'm most looking forward to The Three Musketeers, although every time I mention it to someone they ask if I've read any Dumas before and when I say no, there is a bit of a weighted pause. I guess he's pretty heavy with the text? Ah, only time will tell and I have a bit before I get to that one! What are you most looking forward to of the summer set?

Happy Reading!

Shannon

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment