RSS

Most Anticipated Films of 2011

Photobucket

Although I found that my 2010 Most Anticipated Films list ended up with as many misses and hits, I can't resist doing it all again and with the rarely excited for releases month of January behind us, it's time to look ahead at what to get excited about in 2011.

There are a few carry overs from last year that got bumped to 2011 that I'm still looking forward to but aren't actually making the list:

  • Beastly - A new interpretation of Beauty and the Beast, set in New York. That was really all I needed to know. I read the book it's based on by Alex Flinn last year. The film stars Alex Pettyfer (Wild Child, I Am Number Four), Vanessa Hudgens (Band Slam) and Mary-Kate Olsen. Release date is now March 4, 2011.
  • Priest This one has had so many release dates I stopped keeping track after it changed 3 times, but considering it stars Paul Bettany and s of a fantastical / religious nature and has vampires I can't resist it. Also stars Karl Urban (Star Trek) and Cam Gigandet (Twilight) and is directed by Scott Stewart (Legion). Release date is now May 13, 2011
  • Hamlet directed by Catherine Hardwick (Twilight) starring Emile Hirsch. This one still has no release date, but I will continue to look forward to it!
Now, back to the official list.

Movie Moxie's 26 Most Anticipated Films of 2011

26. Breaking Dawn: Part 1
I adored Twilight, was disappointed about New Moon and think they got back on track with Eclipse. Although Breaking Dawn is my least favourite of the books, I can't help but be excited for the continuation of the female protagonist romance-fantasy saga based on the highly successful and very well-loved and well-read books. There are also so many things that technically I have no clue how they will do (more so for Part 2 in 2012), both parts star Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner and will be directed by Bill Condon (Dreamgirls). For more twi-goodness check out my co-hosted podcast Before the Dawn: A Twilight Podcast.
Release date: November 18, 2011

25. Fast Five
Likely the oddest entry on the list as I can't tell one freaking car from another, in real life or on the screen. But I actually loved the first Fast and the Furious, mostly because I had just discovered both Vin Diesel (Pitch Black) and Michelle Rodriguez (Girlfight). I haven't seen all of the films in the series, but the trailer for Fast Five won when I saw that this instalment will have Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Yeah. I'm there.
Release date: April 29, 2011

24. Hugo Cabret
One of several films on this list that's doubling up with the 2011 Book to Film Club, and one that I don't know too much about yet other than the fact that it's based on the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick inspired by Georges Méliès. the film will be directed by Martin Scorsese and fantastic cast including Chloe Moretz, Emily Mortimer, Jude Law, Sacha Baron Cohen, Michael Pitt, Ben Kingsley, Ray Winstone and Christopher Lee.
Release date: December 9, 2011

23. X-Men: First Class
I almost forgot about this one until I was chatting about anticipated films with Marina and realized that yes, of course, X-Men films are always a yes. I didn't love the 3rd one but loved the original, the sequel and the X-Men Origins: Wolverine. X-Men First Class is set in the early days of Xavier (James McAvoy) & Magneto (Michael Fassbender) and has a freaking awesome cast including Jennifer Lawrence, Nicholas Hoult, Rose Bryne and Kevin Bacon.
Release date: June 3, 2011

22. The Apparition (2011)
Not much info out on this one yet, but a supernatural thriller starring Tom Felton (Draco from the Harry Potter films) was enough to be a yes for me. Also stars Ashley Greene (Twilight), Luke Pasqualino and Sebastian Stan.
Release date: September 9, 2011
BUMPED to August 24, 2012

21. The Three Musketeers (2011)
Another selection that's also in the 2011 Book to Film Club, and I am looking forward to diving into the book and the films is listed as adventure/action/romance (?) but feels very historical/adventure to me. Film stars Milla Jovovich, Logan Lerman, Matthew Macfadyen and Ray Stevenson and will be directed by Paul W.S. Anderson.
Release date: October 14, 2011

20. Drive Angry 3D
Another car-ish film, really? Yeah, yeah I'm full of suprizes this year and I love how this one totally so knows how crazy tongue in cheek it is. It's also... supernatural. Yeah. The cast is awesome: Nicolas Cage (Season of the Witch), Amber Heard (And Soon the Darkness), Billy Burke (Twilight) and William Fichtner (Heat) and directed by Patrick Lussier.
Release date: February 25, 2011

19. The Eagle
Another based on a book film, this is one that is a kids historical adventure series and it feels very sword & sandal-y. Stars Channing Tatum (Step Up, Fighting, Dear John) & Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot, King Kong) and is the earliest release of the year.
Release date: February 11, 2011

18. The Woman in Black
Based on the book by Susan Hill and is about a lawyer who heads to small down to investigate a haunting. Stars Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter films) , Ciarán Hinds and Janet McTeer, directed by James Watkins (Eden Lake). Another 2011 Book to Film Club selection, and the one that I have my fingers the most crossed that we will see it this side of the pod
Release date: October 28, 2011 (UK)
BUMPED to February 3, 2012

17. Source Code
A film from director Duncan Jones, who brought us the brilliance of Moon, is enough to get me interested. Add that it's a action/scifi/thriller starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan and Vera Farmiga and it's a sure-fire must see.
Release date: April 1, 2011

16. Battle: Los Angeles
I wasn't really getting the hype of this one initially, but when the second trailer came out I got all excited for this science fiction / action / war flick. Looks like mostly impressive effects but it feels like it knows that, and I appreciate that.
Release date: March 11, 2011

15. The Tree of Life
Films from director Terrence Mallick (The New World) are must-sees. This one so much so that I'm not even listening, watching or looking for anything about it because I don't want to know to much. Stars Brad Pitt, Sean Penn and Jessica Chastain.
Release date: May 27, 2011

14. Immortals
Another always must-see director for amazing visuals and atmospheres is Tarsem (The Cell, The Fall) and this one is Gods vs Titans. Can't wait. Stars Mickey Rourke, Kellan Lutz, Henry Cavill, John Hurt, Stephen Dorff and Freida Pinto.
Release date: November 11, 2011

13. Drive
One I know little about, another hat-not to Marina on this one but I will forever and always see films be directed Nicolas Winding Refn (The Pusher Trilogy, Valhalla Rising, Bronson), this one stars a stunt man who becomes involve in heists. That's all kinds of awesome in my book. Stars Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan and Bryan Cranston.
Release date: September 16, 2011

12. I Am Number Four
Based on the book by Pittacus Lore (book is Part 1 in the Lorien Legacies, a proposed six-book series), which is a young adult science fiction novel with film adaptation starring Alex Pettyfer (Wild Child, Beastly), Timothy Olyphant (High Life), Teresa Palmer, Dianna Agron, Kevin Durand, and CallanMcAuliffe. Directed by D. J. Caruso (Eagle Eye, The Salton Sea). Another selection that's also in the 2011 Book to Film Club.
Release date: February 18, 2011

11. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
I really, really enjoyed the first one and can't wait to see what director Guy Ritchie comes up with to see more adventures of Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.) and Watson (Jude Law). This one also stars Noomi Rapace (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo / Män som hatar kvinnor).
Release date: December 16, 2011

10. Red Riding Hood
Thriller/Drama/Historical and Werewolves is a yes. Directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight) and starring Amanda Seyfried (Chloe, Letters to Juliet, Dear John), Lukas Haas (Mars Attacks, Inception), Gary Oldman, Billy Burke (Twilight, Drive Angry), Julie Christie & Virginia Madsen.
Release date: March 11, 2011

9. The Muppets (2011)
Do you need to know more. It's the Muppets! It's time to get things started... it's time to... The most sensational, inspirational, celebrational...!!
Release date: December 23, 2011

8. Warrior
Tom Hardy (Bronson), Joel Edgerton (The Square), MMA, troubled home life & training for a tournament. Gets better and better after each comma there. Also stars Nick Nolte & Jennifer Morrison, directed by Gavin O'Connor (Pride & Glory).
Release date: September 9, 2011

7. Water for Elephants
Based on the much loved book by Sara Gruen, and follows a veterinarian student who runs away with the circus. Stars Robert Pattinson, Reese Witherspoon, Christoph Waltz and James Frain. Directed by Francis Lawrence (Constantine).
Yet another selection that's also in the 2011 Book to Film Club,
Release date: April 22, 2011

6. Curling
Denis Côte (Nos vies privées / Our Private Lives, Carcasses) is one of my always must-see directors, he's got a very unique emotional sensitivity and picks fascinating topics for his films. I always look forward to see what he will get up to next.
Release date: March 4, 2011

5. Thor
I was only ho-hum interested in this film until I saw the trailer, which instantly grabbed me. Based on a fallen from grace Nordic God is stars Chris Hemsworth (as Thor), plus Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman and directed by Kenneth Branagh. Can't freaking wait.
Release date: May 6, 2011

4. Sur le rythme
Dance film alert! And Canadian to book. That was enough to me to get all excited, let along the fact that So You Think You Can Dance Canada Season 1 winner Nico Archambault is in it! He's awesome. The film follows Delphine (Mylène St-Sauveur) and feels like it has that great blend of dance film & coming into your own. love that. Directed by Charles-Olivier Michaud. Shout out to Anh Khoi Do for this one and you can see the trailer at The Culture Post here.
Release date: Ete (Summer) 2011. I really hope this one makes it to English Canada too!

3. The Thing (2011)
I'm not usually a prequel fan but I am making an exception to that rule for this prequel to the fantastic John Carpenter 1982 film The Thing, and I'm totally loving the cast here with Joel Edgerton, Ulrich Thomsen, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Eric Christian Olsen and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. Feature film directorial debut by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.
Release date: October 14, 2011

2. The Adjustment Bureau
One of the few carry-overs from last years lists and the trailers stopped me dead in my tracks, wanting to know more but not needing to know more because I knew I would see it. Stars Emily Blunt (The Wolfman (2010), The Devil Wears Prada) & Matt Damon (The Bourne Trilogy, Gerry) in a romance/sci-fi flick with a chance meeting of a politician & a ballerina lead to mysterious complications. Based on the short story by Philip K. Dick and directed by George Nolfi.
Release date: March 4, 2011

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Was there any double this would be number 1? The whole 10 year film series based on the books by J.K. Rowling novels (which I re-read in their entirely last year) comes to a close this summer. I've absolutely adored the series so far, and loved Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and is easily one of my favourite series ever.
Release date: July 15, 2011

Plus: Mid-Year Additions

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
I, like many, wasn't a huge fan of the recent Planet of the Apes reboot and with that I pretty much wrote off this new version until I saw the trailer, and I was captivated. It looks like there really is an interesting story and moral question in there. Cast includes James Franco, Freida Pinto, John Lithgow, Brian Cox, Tom Felton and Andy Serkis, and it's directed by Rupert Wyatt (The Escapist).
Release date: August 5, 2011

One Day

This is earnestly a recommendation that started though the power of Twitter. I was looking to fill the last spot for 2011 for the Book to Film Club, and was instantly won over by the idea of seeing two peoples lives and relationship unfolded by seeing them 1 day a year over many years. I loved the idea and I simply adored the book. I think the casting of Anne Hathaway (Devil Wears Prada, Rachel Getting Married) and Jim Sturgess (Across the Universe, Heartless), is simply perfect. Directed by Lone Scherfig (An Education).
Release date: August 19, 2011

The Help
Another Book to Film Club Selection that won me over, this one based on the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett, this one is set in Mississippi during the early 1960s the centred on unlikely friendships and courageous women. Stars Emma Stone (Paper Man), Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer, Directed by Tate Taylor (Pretty Ugly People).
Release date: August 10, 2011

Anonymous
I'm feeling super literary here with almost all my additions being book released, and this one is close to as it looks at the questioning of who really wrote the works of William Shakespeare. Stars Jamie Campbell Bower, Rhys Ifans, Vanessa Redgrave and David Thewlis, and directed by Roland Emmerich.
Release date: September 30, 2011

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
I was semi interested in this John le Carré novel adaptation until the trailer. At that point I was glad I decided not to read the book as it's clear it's a mystery, and I can't wait to see it unfold (and hopefully solved) by lead actor Gary Oldman. Also stars Colin Firth (The King's Speech) and Tom Hardy (Bronson) from director Tomas Alfredson (Let the Right One In / Låt den rätte komma in).
Release date: November 18, 2011

Photobucket

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment