RSS

So. Bridemaids. Um...

Photobucket

I'm breaking a few of my own rules here, because I'm posting about a film I haven't seen, a film I have no interest in seeing, and even throwing up some attitude on something that I'm not really interested in discussing and won't likely change my opinion on. But I can't ignore this poster or what it says. Why does this poster read:

"Chick Flicks Don't Have to Suck!" And then have quotes from 3 male reviewers.

Wouldn't it have a little more clout to have some quotes from the women film reviewers out there? And there's got to be some positive reviews out there given that it's 90% of Rotten Tomatoes at the moment (May 16, 2011), although at quick glance there was only 1 female happy tomato-er on the front page of the reviews. When I looked at my go-to gals I found response for both ends of the spectrum with MaryAnn Johanson of Flick Filosopher giving it a Skip It rating and Melissa Silverstein of Women and Hollywood encouraging people to see it.

There is usually 1 film a year that gets me totally annoyed over gender crap. Not the film in it of itself (there is more than 1 a year of those!), but the coverage of the film. In 2008 it was Sex in the City, where all the podcasts I listened to has a 1-time female co-host on to 'help' review the film, as if all the guys were scared to take it one. This year the weirdness feels like it will be centred on Bridesmaids. Even though I rarely see or review comedies, sadly all the brouhaha has me even less interested in seeing it. Ah, well.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment