RSS

AFI's Top 10 Films in 10 Genres

I got caught last night watching AFI: 10 Top 10 which is their list of "America's 10 Greatest Films in 10 Classic Genres". It's always about half way through theses lists that I feel like something is missing. This one it was when they hit westerns, then I remembered they only include American films. Anyhow, I'm a sucker for lists and had my virtual highlighter hand to see how many I had seen (69/99, I bumped it down from 100 as A Clockwork Orange is on my 'not seeing' list). With the exception of Sci Fi, I am shocked that there was at least one per category I had not seen. Other categories that I scored high in the 'I've seen that!' lists are: Animated (9/10), Fantasy (8/10) and Mystery (8/10).

As for the list over all, there are a lot of great films included. I was surprized at some of the entries under Fantasy as I consider them 'holiday' films but in the strictest sense they are fantasy and they certainly meet the definition they use to describe the genre. I was surprized they put Romantic Comedy together and didn't have Romance and Comedy on there own. Also, I never would have picked Courtroom Drama as a genre, but then again along with Gangster that was the group of which I had seen the least both with 4/10 seen.

All in all, this brings a lot of films to explore in the future and it may encourage me to make my own lists! How about you?


Animated

  1. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
  2. Pinocchio
  3. Bambi
  4. Lion King, The
  5. Fantasia
  6. Toy Story
  7. Beauty and the Beast
  8. Shrek
  9. Cinderella
  10. Finding Nemo
Fantasy
  1. Wizard of Oz, The
  2. Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring
  3. It's a Wonderful Life
  4. King Kong
  5. Miracle on 34th Street
  6. Field of Dreams
  7. Harvey
  8. Groundhog Day
  9. The Thief of Bagdad
  10. Big
Sci Fi
  1. 2001
  2. Star Wars: Episode Four A New Hope
  3. E.T.
  4. A Clockwork Orange
  5. The Day the Earth Stood Still
  6. Blade Runner
  7. Alien
  8. The Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (50's)
  10. Back to the Future
Sports
  1. Raging Bull
  2. Rocky
  3. The Pride of the Yankees
  4. Hoosiers
  5. Bull Durham
  6. The Hustler
  7. Caddyshack
  8. Breaking Away
  9. National Velvet
  10. Jerry Maguire
Westerns
  1. The Searchers
  2. High Noon
  3. Shane
  4. Unforgiven
  5. Red River
  6. The Wild Bunch
  7. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  8. McCabe and Mrs. Miller
  9. Stagecoach
  10. Cat Ballou
Gangster
  1. The Godfather
  2. Goodfellas
  3. The Godfather Part II
  4. White Heat
  5. Bonnie and Clyde
  6. Scarface: The Shame of a Nation
  7. Pulp Fiction
  8. The Public Enemy
  9. Little Caesar
  10. Scarface
Mystery
  1. Vergito
  2. Chinatown
  3. Rear Window
  4. Laura
  5. The Third Man
  6. The Maltese Falcon
  7. North by Northwest
  8. Blue Velvet
  9. Dial M for Murder
  10. The Usual Suspects
Romantic Comedy
  1. City Lights
  2. Annie Hall
  3. It Happened One Night
  4. Roman Holiday
  5. The Philadephia Story
  6. When Harry Met Sally
  7. Adam's Rib
  8. Moonstruck
  9. Harold and Maude
  10. Sleepless in Seatle
Courtroom Drama
  1. To Kill A Mockingbird
  2. 12 Angry Men
  3. Kramer vs Kramer
  4. The Verdict
  5. A Few Good Men
  6. Witness for the Prosecution
  7. Anatomy of a Murder
  8. In Cold Blood
  9. A Cry in the Dark
  10. Judgement at Nuremberg
Epic
  1. Lawrence of Arabia
  2. Ben-Hur
  3. Schindler's List
  4. Gone with the Wind
  5. Spartacus
  6. Titanic
  7. All Quiet on the Western Front
  8. Saving Private Ryan
  9. Reds
  10. The Ten Commandments

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment