RSS

The Graduate

Dir: Mike Nichols (Catch-22, Working Girl, Closer, Charlie Wilson's War)
Cast: Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross, Elizabeth Wilson, Murray Hamilton, William Daniels
USA, 1967

Seen: May 29/07 thanks to the Toronto Public Library

Reason to see: It’s on my 101 list of films I can't believe I haven't seen for being
just one of those films, although I'll have to admit my first reference for it is from hearing The Lemonheads sing "Mrs. Robinson".

This is a film that I feel does not quite hold up to the test of time. I can imagine that at release the plot was quite shocking but 40 years later, not so much. I also realized that I don't generally watch coming of age stories from a guy's point of view. I have to say I was impressed with Dustin Hoffman's acting in this film as he played the character Benjamin Braddock who is quite shy and unsure. Unfortunately I didn't really like Benjamin Braddock and therefore didn't really care about him so the film lost me there. I did find the saving grace was the performance by Anne Bancroft as the infamous Mrs. Robinson, and her direct yet seductive manner. For me, she was the true star of the film.

Shannon's Overall View:
I was underwhelmed
I'd maybe watch it 1 more time
I recommend it to those who like coming of age guy story, or strictly to see Anne Bancroft's performance as Mrs. Robinson.

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment