RSS

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale

Dir: Uwe Boll (Bloodrayne, House of the Dead)
Cast: Jason Statham, John Rhys-Davies, Ray Liotta, Matthew Lillard, Leelee Sobieski, Burt Reynolds, Ron Perlman, Will Sanderson, Claire Forlani, Brian J. White, Kristanna Loken
Germany/Canada/USA, 2008

Seen: October 20/07 at the Toronto After Dark Film Festival at the Bloor Cinema

Reason to see: I was looking forward to seeing this once I heard it was going to be at TADFF and when it was announced that director Uwe Boll was going to be in attendance, I knew I couldn't miss it.

Review of In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale from my Toronto After Dark Film Festival coverage:

Highly enjoyable fantasy fare with impressive cast, effects and fight scenes. This film had the most vocal crowd so far, to the point of lines being called out from the audience to the screen. Eventually a not so polite retort quelled the tone down a little and I then realized that there were people enjoying the film in a non humorous way. Fair play to them, this film has a fair amount to offer (look at that cast!), being of the fantasy genre I was interested right away. The story begins with a simple task which becomes complicated and intertwined with numerous characters throughout the duration of the film. Strong performances include Jason Statham as a hesitant avenger, creepy factor runs high with Ray Liotta and comic relief by the bushel full with Matthew Lillard as the selfish nephew to the King. Leelee Sobieski and Kristanna Loken round out the cast and I was impressed by the presence of strong female characters. All in all I would say I enjoyed it and I believe numerous people in the crowd did as well.

See more about my experience of the film here, including Q&A highlights with director Uwe Boll

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I'm very curious to see it again in a 'normal' theatrical setting
I recommend it as a fun, fantasy film

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2007-2008

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment