RSS

2008 - what will it bring us?

Reading around I've noticed a lot of 2008 looking ahead post and it's not normally something I do but I love the idea and I have really enjoyed reading/listening to the lists (Row Three, Filmspotting) and decided to add my own to the mix. I also will add this to my tickler for next year as I sense another yearly 'to do' on the prowl!

So here they are, the ones to watch for 2008. Could be due to acclaim, controversy, series continuations, dance films or in general geek-nees. All release dates are subject to change. The following will include brief descriptions.

Acclaimed & Festival Films

My Blueberry Nights - Feb 13, 2007
The latest drama/romance from Wong Kar-wai (In the Mood for Love, Chungking Express / Chung Hing Sam Lam) starring Norah Jones and Jude Law.

Mongol - Winter 2008
Epic film recounting the early life of Genghis Khan, stellar performance by Tadanobu Asano. Mongal is the foreign film submission for Kazakhstan for the 2008 Academy Awards, currently shortlisted.
**update - Mongol has received a nomination for Foreign Film for the 80th Academy Awards

Mister Lonely - April 30/08
From writer/director Harmony Korine, this film received a lot of buzz at TIFF 07 and even though I've read about it various times I still don't know how to describe it.

The Counterfeiters / Die Fälscher - Spring 08
German film based on true events involving... counterfeiting.

Where the Wild Things Are - Oct 3/08
Latest from Spike Jonze with Paul Dano (Little Miss Sunshine), Forest Whitaker, Catherine Keener and James Gandolfini.

Dance Movies

How She Move - Jan 25, 2008
It's a dance movie. And it's Canadian. I'm so there!

Step Up 2: The Streets - Feb 14, 2008
Different director, different actors, same setting and title as the original. Doesn't have as cool a title as Breakin' sequel but it will be a must see on my list

Fame - Aug 15, 2008
Remake of the 1980's film, and if it follows the original will be about all the arts not just dance. Information other than the release date is pretty much a mystery right now.

Already Infamous

Postal - Feb 1/08
The latest from Uwe Boll.

Be Kind Rewind - Feb 22/08
Jack Black & Mos Def re-inact 80's films after the tapes have been accidentally erased, currently showing at Sundance.

Run, Fat Boy, Run - March 21/08
Directed by David Schwimmer and starring Simon Pegg (Hot Fuzz). I'm avoiding info on this one as it sounds very plot based.

Son of Rambow - May 2/08
The effect of Rambo on a kid in the 80's, this film has received major buzz around the festival circuits.

The Could-Be Big Ones (Action/Adventure/Martial Arts/Comic)

Jumper
- Feb 14/08
Hayden Christensen jumps around.

Babylon AD - Feb 29/08
SciFi from director Mathieu Kassovitz (The Crimson Rivers) and starring Vin Diesel and Michelle Yeoh. I'm so there.

Wanted - March 28/08
I'm very curious to see this action film from director Timur Bekmambetov (Day Watch / Dnevnoy Dozor, Night Watch / Nochnoi Dozor) starring James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman, Angelina Jolie and many others.

The Forbidden Kingdom - April 18/08
Stars Jet Li and Jackie Chan, fun fun! Also stars Collin Chou from Flash Point.

Iron Man - May 2/08
I have my reservations on this one, it isn't one of my fave characters of the comic book world but I'll likely see it anyway.

The Big Ones (SciFi/Fantasy/Action/Comic)

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - May 16/08
I loved the first one, such a lovely magical work created and wonderful characters.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - May 22/08
A lot of people are really excited about this one even so far to say it's the most anticipated of the year. I'm holding out on that, mine is further down the list.

The Incredible Hulk - Jun 13/08
Edward Norton stars in the newest film version about the angry green guy.

HellBoy II: The Golden Army - July 11/08
The first Hellboy was a happy surprize and I am a faithful re-watcher. I'm very interested to see what the second one will be like.

The Dark Knight - July 18/08
The next Batman film, with Christian Bale and Heath Ledger. This one absolutely everyone seems to be excited for. The 5min preview I saw definitely looked dark. By the release date, I bet I'll be going to this for my bday!

Death Race - Sept 28/08
Remember Death Race 2000? Here we are back for more, starring Jason Statham no less.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - Nov 21/08
What trouble will they cause now? I better have my Gryffindor scarf made by this time!

Star Trek - Dec 25/08
I think this will be the most anticipated film of the year, and likely also the challenge of the year - to avoiding spoilers. I might actually trek out (hehe, trek) to the theatre on Christmas Day for this, something I've never done before.

What are you looking forward to in 2008?

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment