RSS

The Magnificent Seven

Dir: John Sturges (Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, The Great Escape)
Cast: Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Eli Wallach, Robert Vaughn, James Coburn, Brad Dexter, Jorge Martínez de Hoyos
USA, 1960

Seen: September 28, 2006 thanks to Mpix

Reason to see: It’s on my list of 101 films I can't believe I haven't seen

The Magnificent Seven is a remake of Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai / Shichinin no samurai

This is a classic western, and on my list of favourite westerns to boot. It includes a spectacular ensemble cast lead by no other than Yul Brynner. Although the theme is simple at heart, a village seeking protection from a band of villains, there is a fair amount of depth to the film touching on class issues, the human spirit and especially the strength to stand up for yourself. It's a powerful film in many ways although it can also read as a solid action film or character study. The fact that it resonates on so many levels is one of the huge strengths of the film.

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I'll buy it
I recommend it

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment