RSS

Night Watch / Nochnoi Dozor

Director: Timur Bekmambetov
Cast: Konstantin Khabensky, Vladimir Menshove, Galina Tyunina, Iiya Lagutenko
Russian, 2004
Russian

Seen: March 2006 at Paramount

Reason to see: had heard about this from a friend for a while, and the description of a Action/Horror/Fantasy/Thriller present day light vs. dark is a genre I tend to like so I couldn't let it pass by.

I was almost horrified at the beginning when there was an English voice over. I am not a fan of dubbed movies! I want to hear what that actor said at that moment, regardless of whether or not I can understand the language in which it was spoken. Thankfully, subtitles appeared and wow they were the best subtitles I've seen. They actually were always readable and worked thematically with the film.

Stunning art direction, cinematography and excellent sound. Everything really gelled in terms of creating this work. Innovative ideas, sometimes explained, sometimes not but you knew that the characters knew what was going on and lived in this created world. For me that was one of the greatest things about the film, you would see something and had no idea what the person was doing, why they were doing it or what the effect would be but it made sense regardless if whether or not it was actually 'explained' later. The world felt very real. The characters felt real and you felt for them. I can honestly say for the most part watching it I was completely captivated.

Shannon's Overall View:
I LOVED it
I will buy it
I would highly recommend it

This film made it on to my Favourite Films of 2006 list

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2006

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment