RSS

The Adjustment Bureau

Photobucket

Dir: George Nolfi - feature film directorial debut
Cast: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Anthony Mackie, Terrance Stamp, John Slattery, Michael Kelly
USA, 2011

Seen: March 8, 2011 at Scotiabank

Reason to see: It's on my list of Most Anticipated Films of 2011 (#2)

It's strange to see so many films each year, and many of them are good or great or even fantastic, but it feels like an utter rarity to sit in the theatre and watch a film unfold and think to myself "this film was made for me!" That's exactly what I felt watching The Adjustment Bureau, I literally felt like it was made for me. It has a great story and it's set in the everyday, but has a strong speculative fiction elements along with a lovely romance between characters you truly care about. And what makes me love the film even more, is that 's exactly what I thought it would be from the hints in the early trailers. It totally delivered what I hoped it would be are then some.

The Adjustment Bureau follows David Norris (Matt Damon - Hereafter, Invictus), a young politician who has a chance meeting with Elise (Emily Blunt - The Wolfman, The Young Victoria), and the two have instant chemistry with a combination of excitement and ease. Unfortunately they are very different people on very different paths, but where this film differs from so many out there is that they don't actually mind. But strangely, others do. Others whom we do not know who they are, or who they do what they do - just that they have great power and a plan.

Okay, I'm a sucker for a plan more than most people but more that I'm a sucker for characters that are willing to take a chance. Actually, scratch that because I don't think it's a sucker thing but rather a really strong, powerful and bold statement to see characters that are dynamic and thoughtful, who speak from the heart and from the mind, who see today as just as important as tomorrow. There are so many beautiful ideas about life, love and how you put those two things together that are speckled throughout the film that make it a layered and delightful experience to watch it play out.

The idea of the story is fascinating, but it's the characters and the performances that won me over. My goodness the chemistry between Matt Damon and Emily Blunt is positively delightful and I cherished every moment they were on screen together. I also adored Anthony Mackie as Harry, our conscientious guide and creaky bridge between the clear and unclear speculative fiction elements of the world.

It's a film where it's better to see it to have the story play out on screen over knowing too much ahead, and I know I'm glad that I didn't know too much going in. It's easily my favourite film of the year so far, and I'm already looking forward to seeing it again many, many times in the future.

Shannon's Overall View:

I loved it
I'll buy it
I highly recommend it, especially for anyone that likes both romance & science fiction

Also see: Most Anticipated Films of 2011 and All Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2011

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment