RSS

The Journals of Knud Rasmussen

Dir: Zacharias Kunuk (Atanarjuat) and Norman Cohn (directorial debut)
Cast: Leah Angutimarik, Pakak Innukshuk, Neeve Irngaut Uttak, Natar Ungalaaq, Samuelie Ammaq
Canada/Denmark, 2006

Seen: 9:30AM on Sept 8, 2006 at Ryerson as part of TIFF 2006

Reason to see: It's Canadian!! I’ve also heard amazing things about Atanarjuat which is on my list 101 films to see list and this is by the same people. I also would find it hard to pass up an opportunity to see a film that depicts shamans.

Fascinating Film. It was wonderful to have the opportunity to see something that felt like it was a completely different experience. Everything felt wondrous yet at the same time like daily life. There was always a sense of family and tradition. But, whose tradition? Do we have to all the be same? What does it mean to stay together or to go to something new. What if life steers us in a way we don’t expect?

I enjoyed the cinematography throughout the entire film. The great white expanses, intimate enclosed igloo’s and one of the most gorgeous and captivating scenes I’ve seen in a long time. I can’t say that I understood what was going on all of the time, but I would not want that to deter anyone from seeing it. In fact, if anyone has seen it I would love the opportunity to discuss it.

Random tip: If you ever see anything at this theatre, bring a sweater because it gets chilly. It did make it an experiential part of the process as this film is set in Arctic Canada.

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I will watch it again
I would recommend it, but be aware that the pacing is different that most films

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2006

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment