RSS

Revolutionary Road

Dir: Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Jarhead, Road to Perdition)
Cast: Kate Winslet, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kathy Bates, Kathryn Hahn, David Harbour, Michael Shannon
UK/USA, 2009

Seen: January 2, 2009

Reason to see: General acclaim, awards buzz, etc.

It took me a quite a while to wrap my head around this film, not because I did or didn't like it but because I couldn't figure out why other people liked it. I could tell the packed house on opening day appreciated the film and after the credits the man behind me expressed his view on how wonderful it was, specifically stated "It was so relevant". That comment just threw my mind in a flurry. Relevant. A drama set in 1955 about the drudgery of suburbia. Relevant. I certainly wasn't 'getting' it. The light bulb did finally dawn, but it shone brightly reminding me I didn't get it because the film wasn't talking to me. I've never had much in common with suburbanites and don't ever expect to after growing up in them but moving away as fast as my little legs could take me. But, the fact is this film is speaking to people, and that it shows how much things haven't changed. It was not simply historical commentary but current commentary. Is it better to play the game where you know the rules? To make your own game? To break the rules? What would be the consequences if you decided to be different? Or to be the same as everyone else? Do we shudder to even think about it? Apparently so.

I do have to give kudos to Kate Winslet as her performance in the film was pitch perfect. I also enjoyed the performances by Kathy Bates as well as Michael Shannon whose character was an interesting take on a 'the fool' and providing much appreciated tension release. The art direction and costumes were lovely in the recreating the time period.

Shannon's Overall View:
It is a good film, just not a film for me
I'd watch it again out of curiosity
I'd recommend it to drama lovers and Kate Winslet fans

11 minutes of preshow including 4 commercial and 3 previews: One Week, Duplication and The Soloist

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2009

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment