RSS

Get Smart

Dir: Peter Segal (The Longest Yard, 50 First Dates)
Cast: Steve Carell, Anne Hathaway, Dwayne Johnson, Alan Arkin, Terence Stamp
USA, 2008

Seen: August 8, 2008 at the Bloor

Reason to see: Looked charming & wished I'd seen the TV series

I had a feeling I would get a kick out of this film, but I had no idea I would love it. Coming from the perspective of someone who didn't watch the original series, I still enjoyed and appreciated the world they created and think it's fair to say you can enjoy it without knowing the references. There were moments that you could tell were referencing the series, but it didn't pull you out of the film to do so. It flowed very well throughout, the story was interesting but what really made it special was the characters. From the first teaser trailer I knew the casting of Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart was spot on, but it doesn't stop there. Alan Arkin as the Chief and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson were fantastic, with performances often had me in stitches. The movie delivers more than just laughs with the character of Maxwell Smart who has an striking kindness about him and an earnest quality which is not often seen films these days. Very enjoyable fresh comedy for the goofball in all of us.

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I'd buy it
I'd recommend it for a laughing good time

Zero commercials. Zero previews.

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2008

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment