RSS

High Plains Drifter

Dir: Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven, Pale Rider, Letters from Iwo Jima)
Cast: Clint Eastwood, Billy Curtis, Stefan Gierasch, Walter Barnes, Verna Bloom, Marianna Hill
USA, 1973

Seen: November 10, 2007 thanks to Toronto Public Library

Reason to see: For Western month, I also tend to like Clint Eastwood films

This is one of the type of westerns that I was wary of when I first posted at the beginning of the month re: the Bad and the Ugly. I didn't know that this one would be an example of it, I just though - cool! Clint Eastwood flick! The level of dispassion and selfishness in the majority of the characters makes this quite a hard film to watch, although it does have it's moments. The music is spectacular and eerie, giving it an otherworldy feel. The protagonist is a highly skilled and adept individual which can be compelling to watch. But on the flip side, the sexual violence was not compelling to watch and was quite disturbing. I did feel that on the whole, the film was worth sticking through seeing it to the end, but I would not watch it again.

Warnings: Violence, sexual violence

Shannon's Overall View:
I was surprized by it
I'd not watch it again
I'd recommend it to die hard western fans, or those who enjoy an exploration of the dark side of human nature.

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2007

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment