RSS

The Treasure of Sierra Madre

Dir: John Huston (The African Queen, Across the Pacific, The Maltese Falcon)
Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt, Walter Huston
USA, 1948

Seen: November 24, 2007 thanks to Toronto Public Library

Reason to see: For Western month as it is one of 'the' best westerns on multiple lists, won 3 Oscars (directing & writing: John Huston and supporting actor: Walter Huston)

I'm surprized to say this one did not rank really high for me, after seeing it on so many list's not just as a western but a film in general I'd have to say it fell short of my expectations. It's a different kind of western than the one's I've been watching lately. Almost the entire film is confined to the three main characters and is situated on the land, not in a town. They are all down on their luck and looking to strike it rich with gold. For me, that is where I became less interested. There is a certain need, want and desire that is associated with wealth that I do not fine compelling. Many people consider such things as a exploration of human nature and I usually find it shows us a darker side that I would rather not see, and sometimes I don't believe. All in all, it does have a solid story with amazing acting (especially Tim Holt and Walter Huston), and I tried to appreciate it on that level but in general I found it a little depressing.

At long last to know where this quote came from:
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

Oddity:
There were no subtitles for the spoken Spanish throughout the film.

Shannon's Overall View:
I thought it was a solid film, however I didn't overly enjoy it
I'd not likely watch it again
I'd recommend it to classics and western fans

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2007

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment