RSS

Once

Writer/Dir: John Carney (On the Edge)
Cast: Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová
Ireland, 2007

Seen: September 20/07 at the Carlton

Reason to see: Across-the-board positive reviews, so I headed out to See 1 film a week in the theatre for a year, this is week 39/52.

This was on my list to see for so long, and I am thrilled that it had a really long run in the theatre (thank you Carlton theatre!), it's unusual these days that a May release would still be kickin' around in September.

There is a beautiful understated-ness to this film that upon initially feels simple but I believe it is really truth. You feel the truth. Rarely does music I've heard for the first time bring tears to my eyes, but in this film it did. You could feel it the music, to the core of your being. I haven't even mentioned the story! I'm not sure you would really need to know much about it, other than it's about finding your way. Two people finding their way. Yep, that's enough.

Shannon's Overall View:
It is one of the most amazing films I've seen
I'll buy it, and the soundtrack too
I'd recommend it to everyone

5 minutes of preshow including 1 commercial and 2 previews: Elizabeth: The Golden Age, El Cantante

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2007

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment