RSS

Double Happiness

Director: Mina Shum - 'Long Life, Happiness & Prosperity', 'Drive, She Said
Cast: Sandra Oh, Alannah Ong, Stephen Chang, Frances You, Callum Keith Rennie, Greg Chen
Canada, 1994

Seen: March 26, 2006 thanks to Mpix

Reason to see: I saw a clip of this film in Weird Sex and Snowshoes, a documentary on Canadian film and I was captivating by it. It's on my List of 101 Films I Can't Believe I Haven't Seen.

I completely enjoyed this film. Its *so* Canadian. You know when you watch a film and some parts feel like a play but it wasn't actually based on a play? Bingo. Its a very interesting look at identity, be it personal identity, family identity, cultural identity or all three at the same time. It was really real. It felt like you were really seeing someones life, crazy family moments, work life, friends or dating experiences. Some moments were touching, painfully real and some were so funny I almost had tears in my eyes. A joy to watch.

Its also really cool to see Canadian actors before they hit it big, both Sandra Oh (Gray's Anatomy, Sideways) and Callum Keith Rennie (Battlestar Galatica, Blade: Trinity, Flower & Garnet) gave really wonderful performances.

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I would watch it again
I would recommend it`

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2006

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment