RSS

Hustle & Flow

Director: Craig Brewer (Resolutions of the Complacent Man, The Poor and Hungry)
Cast: Terrence Howard, Anthony Anderson, Taryn Manning, Taraji P. Henson, DJ Qualls
USA, 2005

Seen: April 9, 2006

Reason to see: 2 Academy Award Nominations, Terrence Howard for best actor & won for best song "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp"

Well, I am really surprized to say but I really enjoyed this film. My hesistation was that I didn't expect to get anything out of or relate to or be inspired by a story about a pimp. This film is much more than that. There is a message, there is a story, it is not one that is necessarily easy to watch but it is worth it. The performances are amazing, especially Terrence Howard. He pulls you in from the first scene and keeps you there. You believe him. You love him. You hate him. At times you want him to be nicer but he isn't, and he wouldn't be because that isn't the character. But it isn't just about him, all the characters are real and important and have a story to tell. I was absolutely floored. One of the best films of 2005.

Shannon's Overall View:
I enjoyed it
I would watch it again
I would highly recommend it, but not to the faint of heart. Definitely not PG in any respect. Includes drugs, violence & gender issues.

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2006

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment