RSS

Personal Velocity: Three Portraits

Director: Rebecca Miller
Cast: Kyra Sedgwick, Parker Posey, Fairuza Balk
USA, 2002

Seen: at the Toronto International Film Festival, Sat Sept 7, 2002 - 9AM. Rebecca Miller, Kyra Sedgwick, Parker Posey and cinematographer Ellen Kuras were there for the introduction and the Q&A - how cool is that?

I was intrigued to see this film as it was described as 3 different stories as poems.

I enjoyed the story of the segment with Fairuza Balk the best. The cinematography of the first segment with Kyra Sedgwick was fascinating. A lot of images were slowed or stills and on thier own could look like they were from a children's picture book, however they were capturing very real and scary situations that were more adult oriented. I found it rather striking that it was very female oreinted but did not feel very feminist. It did portray 3 very different women in very interesting situations and the storytelling was good. The coolest thing for me in terms of the experience of the film was that the people involved were there... and walked not 4 feet away from me. That was absolutely thrilling.

Shannon's Overall View:
It made me think and I liked some images
I would watch it one more time
I would recommend it to those interested in different types of women's stories

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2006

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment