RSS

Water

Writer/Director: Deepa Mehta (Fire, Earth, Bollywood/Hollywood)
Cast: Sarala, Lisa Ray, Seema Biswas, John Abraham
Canada/India, 2005

Seen: August 23, 2006 on DvD thanks to a co-worker

Reason to see: Highly acclaimed Canadian Film, won 3 Genies

Although I had only a vague idea what this film was about it's Canadian (yay!) and was highly acclaimed in general as well as from a few women I know. I found it quite hard to watch. Most people I know felt it very emotional and beautiful. I found that I was not expecting the harshness of the characters nor the situation. The situation being widows sent into exile to live in poverty with almost zero choices after their husbands die, for the rest of their lives. The film states this is still happening. I know awareness can lead to power but just the thought of this left me feeling angered and hopeless. I do again stress that this is not the reaction most people had, most felt it was emotionally charged and important. I was just shocked, angered and felt hopeless. The one thing that made up for it was the wonderful performace by the young Sarala, a remarkable performance from such a young actor - I was impressed.

Shannon's Overall View:
I don't think I could fairly say I 'enjoyed' it but I am glad to have learned things from it
I will not watch it again
Tough call on who to recommend it to, those who enjoy deeply emotional films about struggle

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2006

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment