RSS

Dreamgirls

Dir: Bill Condon (Kinsey, Gods and Monsters)
Cast: Jennifer Hudson, Beyoncé Knowles, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Anita Noni Rose
USA, 2006

Seen: December 27, 2006 at Paramount with Suzie & Jamie

Reason to see: It's Dreamgirls!!!!!!!! Musical based on the Broadway production for which I could sing every song word for word! Inspiring story, amazing songs, and hope, love and tears.

What a fascinating experience to actually 'see' this story! I've loved the music for years but I've never seen a production of it, therefore I only knew the bare bones of the story. It was so amazing to see all of the characters come to life. All of the stories are full and dynamic, the characters were really three dimensional which I wasn't expecting. Sometimes you agreed with them whole heartedly and other times you questioned what they were doing but throughout you were with them for every moment.

The largest irony is the duality of the film's plot with the marketing campaign. When you see it, you'll know what I mean by that. All of the performances are excellent, specifically Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy kudo's to the film for excellent casting.

The only thing that wasn't included that I was really looking forward to is the song "I Miss You Old Friend" between Effie and C.C., although there were many really strong numbers including "Family" and "And I am Telling You, I'm Not Going". Heartbreakingly beautiful.

When you see it..., bring kleenex. It was an wonderful, emotional rollercoaster and I cherish the fact that I got to see it with my sisters.

Shannon's Overall View:
I loved it
I'll watch it again, and again.. and again!
I'd recommend it, especially to anyone who likes musicals

23 minutes of commercials and previews - a new record I think!

This film made it on to my Favourite Films of 2006 list

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2006

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment