RSS

Xanadu

Director: Robert Greenwald
Cast: Olivia Newton-John, Gene Kelly, Michael Beck
USA, 1980

Seen: April 14, 2006, thanks to Suzie for sending me the tape!

Reason to see: Its on my List of 101 Films I Can't Believe I Haven't Seen. I wanted to include a musical, and a film that started with each letter of the alphabet on the list and there wasn't many choices for 'X'. I also know the song and it always struck a certain image for me, which made me curious to whether or not I had seen it. I thought it had to do with being on another world/reality and rollerskating.

Well, I still can't tell if I've actually seen this before but my oh my what to say about this film. It was entertaining at times, and felt nostalgic of the 80's. Early 80's, rollerskating and either just pre or on the cusp of aerobic clothing being stylish, not like John Hughes 80's nostalgic films. There was a certain charm and innocence to it, and it was great to see Gene Kelly dance. Its very of its time, which can be interesting to see how things have changed over the years.

Shannon's Overall View:
Some parts of the film were amusing
I don't believe I will be watching it again
If you like 80's musicals, its for you!

Return to Film Reviews

© Shannon Ridler, 2006

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment